The Sussex Post No. 8 American Legion became incorporated on the 28th day of April, A.D.1931. The legion was housed north of the Town limits on N. Bedford, Street, known as the Log Cabin. The Legion consisted of designated Directors, executive board and members. Those position have the power to make, provide and control all by-laws set forth by the American Legion. The goal was to uphold the service as a Veteran’s Organization to service the community as a non-profit organization. All positions were held, and are still held, by volunteers. It was the decision of the members to become the emergency ambulance service for the Georgetown area and also have the right reserved to transport Veteran’s in need of transportation for medical care.
The Ambulance Service was housed in a separate location, known as 406 N. Front Street. The lands were donated to the Legion and the building was constructed by the members. It housed a Cadillac Ambulance. The early ambulances had minimal equipment and were in service with all volunteer crews. The members who transported patients also had minimal training and equipment. The ambulance fleet grew over the years, as did the membership of the ambulance squad, to have two ambulance units housed at all times and the station needed more rom. The addition was added onto the exiting building in 1956.
In 1966, the new purchase price for a Superior Cadillac ambulance was $15,675.50. The new unit provided 42” of headroom, flashing squad lights, Firestone white wall tires, two separate air conditioning units and plasma holders in the ceiling and walls.
Since 1975 the statistics for our station has increased from 443 emergency calls to exceed over 2, 000 calls a year. Georgetown EMS Station 93 is one of the busiest districts in the county and average 8+ calls per day.